Painter Thomas Kinkade dies at 54 | News
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A family spokesman says California artist Thomas Kinkade, known for scenes of cottages, country gardens and churches in dewy morning light, has died. He was 54.
David Satterfield said Kinkade died Friday at his home in Los Gatos of what appeared to be natural causes.
Kinkade's sentimental paintings were beloved by middlebrow America but reviled by the art establishment. His paintings and spin-off products were said to fetch some $100 million a year in sales, and to be in 10 million homes in the United States.
Kinkade was a native of Placerville.
Upcoming Events near El Dorado Hills / Cameron Park / Placerville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Recipe: Quinoa, Egg & Veggie Breakfast Bites (and a Breakfast Challenge!)
- Dining News: Aji Japanese Bistro in El Dorado Hills 'Still Finding Its Voice'
- UPDATE: 4th of July Lake Tahoe fireworks show will continue
- Complete list of school closures for Tuesday, April 1, 2014
- Calif. snowpack survey forebodes tough summer